Auto Payments in Recurring Templates
Modified on: Tue, 13 Sep, 2022 at 11:39 AM
Important things to know about Auto Payments.
Table of Contents
What does auto payment in a recurring template mean?
Auto payments in recurring templates mean that you don’t have to wait for the customer to pay your invoice on time. The setting would automatically deduct the invoice amount on the invoice due date using the customer’s credit card.
The card which must be used to deduct the auto payments on the invoice due date can be defined as
- Customer card – Allows to automatically charge the customer on the same card which is used to make the first payment for the recurring template
- Saved card – If any saved cards exist for the end customer, locations can use that card to automatically charge the end customer on every due date for the recurring template
- New Card – Locations can also enter new card details to charge the customer on that specific card whenever an invoice is due in the recurring template
How to automatically charge the client?
- Auto payments can be enabled on the recurring template while scheduling the template as shown below.
What does Customer Card mean here?
This option allows location users to charge the end customer from the card which is used by the customer to make the first payment in the recurring template. This will become applicable from the immediate next occurrence of the invoice irrespective of the invoice which is paid (can be the first, second, or n-th invoice)
For reference, if the customer makes the payment for the first time on the 4th invoice without paying the first three invoices, then auto-payment using that card would start from the 5th occurrence of the recurring template(if exists)
How will I get notified of auto-payments?
- Notification will be sent to the location user as well as the end customer upon every success/failure instance of a child invoice in the recurring template
- The end customer will also be notified prior to deducting the charge automatically. This notification will be sent “x” days in advance, which is defined in the recurring setting frequency
- In case any child invoice is updated before deducting the auto-charge, then the payment would not be processed automatically for that instance. The location user would be informed of the same via mail and they should share the updated invoice with the end customer to avoid any lost recurring revenue
What happens if auto-payment fails?
- In case of failure of auto-payment from the defined card, the end customer and invoice sender would be notified of the same via mail.
- If the end customer successfully pays via the same card or a new card upon notification, then the new card would be updated to deduct auto-payment for all future occurrences
- Else the payment would be retried 2 more times, after 24 hrs gap of each try, for attempting to process the payment for the invoice. If the payment has still not been processed, no further attempt would be made for this instance automatically and the customer would be required to pay for the invoice manually.
How many times will payment be retried in case of failure?
In case of failure in deducting the charge automatically from the defined card, 2 auto retry attempts would be made after 24 hrs each from the first failure. If the payment is still not processed, the end customer would be required to manually pay for the invoice.
What does automatically charging a saved card mean?
This option allows location users to charge the end customer using one of the saved cards existing with the location user. This would deduct the invoice amount from the selected saved card starting from the first occurrence.
Any failure in charging the amount from the saved card would trigger a notification to the location user as well as the end customer. The saved card is not authorized while scheduling the template
What does automatically charging a new card mean?
This option allows location users to charge the end customer using new card details entered by the location user. This would deduct the invoice amount from the desired card starting from the first occurrence.
Any failure in charging the amount from the selected card would trigger a notification to the location user as well as the end customer. Any new card selected would be authorized with the minimum charge amount in the respective currency while scheduling the template.
Any card successfully added will also be saved for future purposes for the location user.
How to end auto-payments on a recurring template?
Auto-payments can be ended on an ongoing recurring template by selecting the Manage Auto-payments option from the invoice builder as shown below
This will open the Auto-payment scheduling modal with the toggle turned ON and the payment option selected. The location user can turn the toggle off to disable auto-payments from the next occurrence.
Can I turn on auto-payments in an ongoing recurring template?
Yes, auto-payments can be turned ON on an ongoing recurring template using the manage auto-payments option in the builder.
This will open the auto-payment modal with the toggle turned off. The location user can turn the toggle on and select the desired payment option from customer card, saved card, or new card.
Did you find it helpful? Yes No